This Memorial Day Weekend we originally had reservations at a State Park near St. Louis. We had all these plans to go camping, see the arch, go to the St. Louis Zoo, go biking, and visit Grants Farm. Well as the week went by we watched the weather and the forecast was a lot of rain and storms. Well St. Louis is about 6.5 hours drive and we figured it was a long way to sit in the camper and deal with rain. So we decided to cancel our reservations and reschedule for another weekend. We did that on Wednesday and by Wednesday afternoon we had Elsie in to see the doctor for an ear infection. I am so happy that we ended up canceling because it only got worse from there. We had her back in on Thursday and Friday and by Friday night she was fever free and starting to feel better. I am so glad we cancelled our vacation.
So I decided that even if we can't go on vacation we can have a "Staycation". I was hoping to avoid housework, meal prep, etc. but that didn't happen but we did have a great weekend...until I got sick. So here we go! Day One:
We woke up, got ready, and headed out to the Science Center of Iowa. I knew that Elsie wouldn't totally be into it but I knew there were areas that she would enjoy. Plus, I had purchased a groupon and we got in 1/2 price. We were also hoping to get to the Downtown Farmers Market but it was just pouring so we passed on that.
The very first exhibit we went to was in the Star Theater. They had a Sesame Street program with Big Bird about the stars. Elsie was enthralled! She just kept looking all around her. It was fun to see her so interested. After the program we went to the room with the animals.
Then we went to "When Things Get Moving" where we spent most of our time at the ball wall. It's nothing like the room of balls at the Omaha Children's Museum but she still had fun.
After spending quite a bit of time at the ball wall we headed down to "Small Discoveries", a room designed for children Elsie's age so it was perfect!
Elsie walked all the way up the steps the "normal" way.
I was so proud of her and she was so proud of herself!
Elsie has been obsessed with bubbles at home so it was fun to blow big bubbles with her.
She made a little friend at this exhibit. He was showing her how it all worked.
After we left SCI, we walked to one of my favorite restaurants downtown-Hessen Haus. It is a yummy german place with the best Beer Cheese Soup! It has little bits of bratwurst in it and is so good!
Then we headed back in the car-Elsie was asleep in minutes so we decided to drive around. We ended up at the Saylorville Dam, someplace I had never been to. When John and I go on vacations we like to drive around and take in the sights so it felt just right to do the same in the Des Moines area. It was a pretty drive.
We came home, played for a while and grilled out for dinner. After Elsie went to bed we took it easy and relaxed a little and hit the hay early.
No comments:
Post a Comment