I recently started reading this blog Healthy Tipping Point. I found it off my friend Randi's blog list on her blog and I really enjoy reading what she has to say. She is a mom to a 5 month old (I think that is how old he is) and she lives a healthy lifestyle. I find her posts pretty inspiring. She also is a writer and has written three books. Recently she posted about a book she has read "168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think" by Laura Vanderkam. I chose to read this book for my book club choice this month. We are going with a Non-Fiction theme for November. I started it on Monday night and have made it about 10% through so far.
The basis of the book is that the author believes you have more time than you believe you do and I think the rest of the book explains how to get the most of your week and looking at your life as not 24 hours in a day but 168 hours in a week. I am really interested in this.
I have found recently that everyone talks about how busy they are and how they don't have time for anything...or at least anything meaningful. I know there are times I will talk about the weekend and say how busy it was or how busy my week was but in reality it wasn't as busy as I thought and that it definitely could be busier. I do know life gets crazy at times and some weeks are crazier than others but I do think that we are a society that puts value on how "busy" we are and then complain about how we don't have time to do read, excercise, etc. I can't wait to read this book and see what this author has to say.
Part of the book is as a reader tracking your daily activities for a week and writing everything down. Then after the week is over evaluating how you truly spend you time. I am hoping to start this next Monday. Here are my predictions on how I believe I spend my time.
Sleep: I think I get at least 7 hours of sleep a night-it might not be uniterrupted but I think I get at least that much throughout the night. So that would be 49 hours a week.
Household Obligations: This is cleaning, laundry, general picking up, house pojects, running errands etc. this varies so much day to day so I think over the week I would say 20 hours.
Work: My goal is to get in 30-32 hours of work a week. 26 hours going in to work and 5-6 hours at home.
Elsie: This area would be all things Elsie, playing, taking care of her, feeding her, getting dressed, washign bottles, diapers etc. I bet over the course of the week it takes 30 hours of my time. The thing is we go for walks...is this Elsie time since she loves to go for a walk and be outside or is it my exercise time? I would say exercise time.
Personal Care: Exercise, eating and preparing meals, getting ready in the mornings, etc. 2.5 hours/day so 17.5 hours/week.
Leisure: Doing things I want to do...reading, blogging, socializing, reading blogs, watching TV (something I rarely do on its own), internet stuff...well I guess this would be 21.5 hours a week.
So those are my predictions. We will see how close I really am and how I perceive I spend my time vs how I really spend my time :) I am going to see if John wants to do it along side me and track how he spends his time too. He is such a great help around the house, helping to take care of Elsie, cooking dinner, etc. I don't know what my time would look like with out his help.
I can't wait to see the how it goes!
love that blog!
ReplyDeleteI am interested to see your results! good luck!
Tan, I read her blog post the other day too and thought it was interesting! Tracked my hours for one day and then I stopped, ha. Hopefully your results will motivate me. I rarely feel too busy, but I'm sure once baby W arrives that will change. We'll chat about it this weekend! xxoo
ReplyDelete