Thursday, November 1, 2012

DSM Race for the Cure 2012

This past weekend we participated in the Des Moines Area Race for the Cure.  It was my first time participating in it since Fall of 2008, I was so busy working weekends it never seemed to work out.  I was exciting too because Elsie could walk in it.  Most of you know that my mom Bonnie is a two time survivor of breast cancer so this cause means a lot to me.  I have done the Minneapolis Race for the Cure as well as the Susan G. Komen 3-day walk with my cousin.  Each time I walk I get pretty emotional.  There are so many women who have been diagnosed by breast cancer; my mom, my great aunt, my friend Randi's mom, quite a few of my mom's friends/coworkers, my friend Kaci's mom, and women in our community.  I feel like I hear way too often of someone else being diagnosed.  It is so sad.  Some have won the fight and some have lost the battle.  Walking 3.1 miles is the least I can do to spread the awareness of this disease.  

It was a chilly morning...in the low 30's.  However, by the end it was such a beautiful morning and we were all bundled up and warm, if only Elsie would keep her hat on.  

Elsie did her first 5k and raced in celebration of her Grandma :)

All cozy taking her morning nap.  I did get upset during the walk though.  This one lady walked past us and complained about all the strollers.  How frustrating to hear because all these little kiddos are affected by breast cancer too.  


Me, Amber, and Hillary

I walk for my mom, and all the women that have battled this disease.  I walk for myself, Elsie, my sister and sister in law, my nieces, my aunts, my cousins, all my friends, and all our little girls and pray that one day, breast cancer will be a thing of the past.  

1 comment:

  1. What a neat thing for you to do with Elsie and John in honor of your Mom. And in honor of your Great Aunt, Randi's Mom, and all of the women and men who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. What strong women your Mom, your Great Aunt, and Randi's Mom are and all the women (and men) who have survived, are fighting, and are going through this.

    Love you Tan!

    ReplyDelete