Monday, October 14, 2013

Run for the Roses 5k

This past weekend I completed my fifth 5k of the year.  Cross that goal off my 30 goals list!  I am so glad I set that goal because I feel like it has kept me running (kind of) throughout the year.  This summer/fall has been a little inconsistent but it was always on my mind.  I have really enjoyed all of these little races!  I am hoping to maybe get in one more before the end of December, maybe two and hope that I will have more time to run to get my time down.

Sunday was the best morning for a run!  Cool, crisp, perfect.  Although, these are the mornings where I am just not sure what to wear, and of course I over dressed but that's alright. Hey when I got dressed it was in the thirties!   It wasn't too bad.  The race started at 9:00 which was perfect-I didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get ready.  John and Elsie came to this one to watch and enjoy the yummy omelette breakfast that was served after the race.  We met up at Kedra's before heading to Ames for the run.  There we met up with a couple other ladies.

The whole group of runners-Joy, Jill, Heidi, Me, Hillary, Kedra, and Kedra's student teacher (I can't rememeber her name-how terrible am I?)

Elsie all bundled up for the morning. 

I ran the race with Hillary and Heidi.  I wasn't sure how it was going to go because I had rolled my ankle earlier in the week and had just noticed that it was black and blue.  I wished I would have iced it more but played it off like it was no big deal.  However, the run felt really good.  You know how you have some days where it is just a struggle to get your legs moving, well not on Sunday.  It felt good, despite my ankle.  The route was pretty hilly  especially compared to the last race which was completely flat.  I did like how this route was a lot of up and down vs a continuous uphill for the first half and then all downhill for the second half like the Dam to Dam 5k.  It kept things interesting :)  My goal for this run was to do better than the Flapjack 5k that I ran a couple of weeks ago back in September.  Which I believe I accomplished according to my Map My Run app. by over a minute.  We will find out the official time whenever it gets posted.    I plan to update times/pace time in my final 30 goals wrap up which is just about coming to an end!  Crazy! 

After the race, we were served omelettes which were yummy.  Elsie must have been tuckered out because she slept the whole time in a loud, crowded cafeteria with music playing over the speakers.  Oh and we also all received a rose.  My friend Kedra ended up getting first place for our age division too!  I think they said there was 1100 runners which is pretty good for a little 5k in Ames.  



After the race we had another open house for our house so we came home, tidied up the house and then Elsie and I ran some errand while John did cattle stuff.  Another beautiful weekend-I seem to say that every week which makes me feel so blessed!  



1 comment:

  1. Way to go Tanya!! you should be so proud of yourself with all of these races.. Glad the ankle held up!!

    Elsie must have been very tired to have fallen asleep in her stroller. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete