Yesterday we started our journey out west to Idaho to see my brother and his girlfriend Magda. I had a bit of anxiety with Elsie along since I wasn't sure how the two solid days in the car would go. We are nearing the end of the trip out and I am pleasantly surprised at how well she has done. I don't even need all five fingers on one hand to count the number of times she has really fussed. Most of the time she was just ready to eat or needed a diaper change.
There are six of us in this minivan. My mom and dad, Tami and my niece Allie and Elsie and me. No John for this trip :(. I know I am really going to miss him and I really wished he could have come along, after all it is Elsie's first vacation. I guess it will be nice when I come home to a brand new tub/shower combo. That is his project while we are gone.
So it all began on Monday night. The four Minnesotans drive down and slept a few hours at our house before we got up at left at 7:00 am on Tuesday morning. Elsie and I are camped out in the vet back. I don't mind it too much except it is almost impossible to hear anything in the front seats.
We made a quick breakfast stop in Stuart, IA and the a longer stop in Shelby, IA. There was a really nice gas station rest area where Allie could walk around through a little park with gardens and walking trails. There was also a double swing that Tami and Allie spent some time on. I fed Elsie and changed her diaper and she had a little outdoor time of her own. I really recommend this spot if you are traveling along I-80 and need to stretch your legs.
We got back on the road and before I knew it we were entering the great state of Nebraska. And by great I mean long and boring :). We slept through the first part of it at least. Somewhere in central Nebraska we stopped for a picnic lunch at a sheltered picnic table at a rest area. Once again it was nice to get out and stretch our legs.
Back on the road we went and made it to Sidney Nebraska for supper. We ate at a Mexican restaurant called OYA Mexican restaurant. It was pretty good. Elsie had some rice cereal and sure made a mess of it. We stopped for the night in Cheyenne,WY and stayed at the Days Inn. I would stay there again.
All in all it was a great day. Beside the one little vomiting incident (not me or Elsie) the ride went pretty fast, Elsie did wonderful, and we were halfway to Mountain Home.
Departure Time: 7:00 am CST
Arrival Time in Cheyenne: 8:30 PM MST
Total Hours: 13.5
Total Miles: 665
I didn't take too many pictures on the first day but here are the ones I got with my phone.



This is making me want to take a road trip!! HOW FUN!!!!
ReplyDelete