Monday, April 23, 2012

Earth Day

Yesterday was Earth Day...What are you doing to be green these days?  Earth Day is a great time to reflect back to see what you can change to be a bit more environmentally friendly.  I must admit, a few years ago I was a lot more "green".  I had the time to think about it more and it was only John and I in our home to worry about.  Having Elsie has thrown things off just a bit and I don't have as much time to think about it.  I will be the first to admit that John follows me around the house shutting off lights as I leave the room because I don't shut them off.  Most of the time my hands are full with baby and baby things and I don't have the extra hand to shut the light off.  Or I am distracted and don't think about it.  I am also terrible when I hand wash pump parts and bottles.  I leave the water running full blast since it takes less time to rinse them.  And time these days is a precious commodity.  ha Those are for sure the two things that are easier enough for me to change.

Here are some ways our family tries to be be "green"

1.  This year we signed up again with a local CSA (Community Supported Agricultre). The veggies we will eat starting in June will come from a farm just a couple miles away from our house.  We go pick up our share at the farm once every 2 weeks (we only get a 1/2 share).  I know where these veggies come from, that they are fresh and that they are grown in a sustainable way.  In our neck of the woods I find the cost to be pretty reasonable.  For us since we have a 1/2 share we pick up every other week over the course of 20 weeks.  It is amazing how long the vegetables last if stored correctly.  We paid $280.00 which ends up being $14.00/week over 20 weeks. The same farm offers a full share which is a pick up every week for $490 which ends up being $24.50/week.  I have found you get sooo much vegetables and for our family it would get wasted so the half share is just perfect for us.  Check out this website to find CSA's in your area.: http://www.localharvest.org/

2.  Cloth diapers and wipes.  This is a HUGE way to keep trash out of the landfill.  Did you know it takes 500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose?  (Not sure how we know this since they haven't been around that long but I am sure they have their ways to test it).  This was one of the main reasons why we chose to cloth diaper to begin with.  There are also many other advantages such as saving money, health advantages and of course the adorable prints.  I think John chose because of the whole money thing.  Some people think that washing diapers wastes a lot of water because you have to wash them but from the past few months our water bill has only increased minimally (and I am convinced it is because of all the water I use when washing pump parts and bottles  multiple times a day).  And I understand that cloth diapers is not everyone's thing but it is one way we try to be green.

3.  We recycle a lot of our stuff.  We have one of those "toss everything in, you don't have to sort it bins" and I love it!  It makes it way easier to recycle.  Our trash can is barely half full when we put it out on the curb once a week.  I think we could even do a better job of recycling,.  There are thing that end up in the trash contained that I know should go in the recycling.

4.  We only use CFL lightbulbs in our house.  This is an easy one.

5.  I try my best to line dry our clothes...especially in nice weather.  A couple of years ago I had John install a clothesline in our backyard and I LOVE it!  Especially now with the cloth diapers.

I have a few goals for this year...
1.  Use more natural cleaning products like baking soda and vinegar...rumor has it you do most anything with that.

2.  Keep an eye on my water consumption.

3.  Buy more locally.  Not just produce but household goods as well.

Those are just a few things we do.   What do you do?

Happy Earth Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment