This past weekend I did the Rosy Cheeks Run. I have planned to do this run for a few months and actually started trainin (jogging) for it starting the first week in January. It had been probably before Elsie was born that I ran as much as I did in January and I did it routinely at least three times a week. I know this run is what motivated me to do it.
Kara and I at the start of the race
I actually found a "Couch to 5k" app on my phone but it was for 8 weeks and I only had 4 before the run so I tweaked it a little to work for me. I LOVE that I have a treadmill and I know that I wouldn't be doing any running if I didn't have one but the time can seem to drag on. The longest I ran at one time was 2 miles straight. Otherwise I would do some walking to mix things up and keep it interesting. Seeing as I only had ran 2 miles straight I was a little nervous about doing 3.1 miles. My friends Heidi and Kedra said that if I can do two miles on the treadmill I will have no problem doing it outside...I wasn't so sure.
Going into this race I was nervous for a few things...
1. That I would take FOREVER to do it.
2. That I would be way too cold. This was something I became more nervous about as the day got closer since it was supposed to be in the low teens at race time.
3. That I would dissapoint myself. I know I hadn't ran very much in the last two years but I really wanted to run the majority of this race. When on the treadmill I was jogging at the 12 minute mile pace. I was hoping to at least do this but I figured that I would do some walking so if I made it in that 12-13 minute mile pace I would be happy.
Kara and I at the end of the race
Turns out that I didn't have anything to worry about. It did not take me forever, in fact it took me 33 minutes and 46 seconds to complete the race which is 10 minute 52 second mile pace. A whole minute a mile less than my goal. I know that is not a super awesome time but it is definitely a time I am happy with, after all it was faster than my 12 minute/mile goal. Also, I was definitely not cold. Actaully after the first mile I had to take my top layer off. I am actually glad that I had a headband and not a hat because I was a bit warm.
All in all, I had a great time doing this. I am so thankful that I had Kara there to run with me :) After we enjoyed a free pancake breakfast for participants and they gave away a ton of drawings. Kara won a free pizza and I won a free burrito :). I think this is a race I would definitely do again.
Proof that you're a natural runner and competitor. Good job, Tan! We should do a run together once I'm off this baby train.
ReplyDeletexxoo
Erin
Way to go Tan! I love running in the cold more than the heat!
ReplyDeleteI had so much fun running with you, I've continued to train so hopefully our next run goes even better!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAwesome Job Tan!! Love the name of the run too ;)
ReplyDelete