Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cloth Diapers for Our Baby's Bum

So after doing quite a bit of research John and I decided that we are going with cloth diapers for our baby.  Not only is it better for our baby and the environment, it is also quite a bit more economical (especially if you can resist buying all the adorable diapers out there).  There is so much information out there about cloth diapers it can be overwhelming.  I have a few go to sites (my fave being www.allaboutclothdiapers.com) and there is really a community of support too.  With cloth diapers there are challenges and problems that arise but you just have to try to work your way through it.  We are under no presumption that this is going to be easy or as easy and convenient as disposables but in the end we believe it is worth it.  Keep in mind this is coming from a girl who has changed a minimal amount of diapers total in her life.  :)

So a few nights ago I made a spreadsheet which outlines the types of diapers (All in Ones, Fitted, Covers, Pockets, Flats) and how many we need/would like of each as they are a newborn and then an infant.  The whole cloth diaper thing seems to have come a long way in the past years.  No more is it just flats that you fold and hold together with pins and put a plastic coated cover over.  Now you have All in Ones (AIOs) that are just like disposables except you wash them instead of throwing them away, Pockets that you stuff with liners depending on the absorbency amount that you want, and Fitteds that have snaps or velcro but you still need a cover for them.  I picked the brands that I wanted based off of reviews and reccomendations.

So one of the brands that I want is Ragababe.  When I first went to their website they were out of stock and so I decided to check back frequently.  So I check first thing this morning and they were still out of stock.  For some reason I checked again 45 minutes later and they had stocked a couple colors in a couple sizes.  I thought "this is my chance".  Well I was wrong.  In that time they had stocked and were sold out of the ones they stocked already.  They have a minimum per family on how many you can buy in a month so I have a feeling these are good ones.

What I love about these diapers is that they are made by a mom.  Her name is Joy and you can learn about her and her family and how RagaBabe came to be on her website.  www.ragababe.com.  Here is a photo of one of the 2-Step diapers.  Aren't they cute?

 So my quest to get my hands on one of these continues.  These are just one of the many brands I want to try out and have in my stock of diapers.

Overall I am really excited about cloth diapers and am super into doing the research. I am happy to pass any of the information I learn onto anyone else who is interested in learning more.  I think it is something worth considering for your next baby.  If you decided it isn't for you, that's okay.  We may find in the end it isn't for us (let's hope not) but at least we gave it a try.  I am excited!  Now I just have to resist from over buying :)

2 comments:

  1. Cloth diapers are so darn cute these days! Can't wait to see your babie's little bum all wrapped up in them. okay, that was kind of creepy, but you get what I mean.

    this chic cloth diapers and might have some good insight. looks like she researched the hell out of it:

    http://julia-transition.blogspot.com/search/label/cloth%20diapers

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes the covers are so cute!

    this girl does alot of cloth diapering too

    http://www.mamaathomeblog.com/

    ReplyDelete