Tuesday, June 21, 2011

One of My Biggest Fears

I had to laugh at myself this morning as I was recounting my night last night to my mother-in-law.  So, one of my biggest fears is SEVERE thunderstorms that could produce tornadoes.  I feel like this has started only in the last 5 years or so and I can't figure out the root of this fear but lately it has gotten bad.  Tornadoes I feel can be so unpredictable.  And they can be so dangerous and cause so much damage in just a short amount of time.  If I know that a storm is just going to cause thunder, lightning, and some hail I am okay.  But I fell at any moment a tornado can arise.

So the other night I had John get our "tornado area" ready.  Our plan is to go underneath the stairs in the basement so we have a sleeping bag down there to wrap up in and flashlights in case the electricity goes out.  In our bedroom, I have him get Cinder's leash by the bed, we have both our headlamps by our bedside and I get my "tornado outfit" ready.  My outfit includes sweatpants, sweatshirt, and tennis shoes that I am protected head to toe haha.  I know it sounds silly but if it makes me feel better...  And of course we keep our weather radio in our bedroom too.  I have the most wonderful husband who does all this to make me happy.  He has no fear of tornadoes and would sleep through the whole thing if I let him.

Well last night we had strong strom predictions.  Around 11:30 PM the weather radio goes off for our country for a servere thunderstorm warning.  We had given Cinder a sedative (prescribed by our vet) before the storm came our way.  If you think I am scared of storms, you should see Cinder haha.  We gave her one pill (it is prescribed for up to two).  There had been no tornado warnings since the storm got to Iowa so I had relaxed a little thinking that it must have died down. Well I was wrong, not too much longer the weather radio went off for a third time and before it even said what the warning was for I knew it was for a tornado, there was no other options.  So I wake John up and he goes downstairs of course to look out the window.  I get my "tornado outfit" on and go downstairs.  I bet I looked ridiculous.  We found out the tornado was south of us and would miss us but I refused to take my outfit off until the warning expired.   But I felt ready and in control.  I am so glad John as so much patience with me when I look silly.  There I am in my whole outfit and there he is in glue to the window-the place you should not be.

Cinder slept through the entire thing thanks to the ace (sedative).  We tried to get her roused before we fell asleep and she was just like a rag doll that is how bad it knocked her out.  Even this morning she has trouble walking and is still really loopy.  We will definitely have to cut back the dosage even more the next time but at least it kept her calm through the storm.

Bottom line, I just want to be safe and I want my family to be safe.  And when we do have a tornado, we will be ready :).  At least I can still laugh at myself.  Right?

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious. I bet $5 that next time, he slips YOU the sedative :) Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I am so scared of severe thunderstorms too!! I do not have a tornado outfit ;) but I do get really nervous about storms and tornados!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have gotten more nervous about tornados in the last few years! Glad to hear I am not the only one who puts on tennis shoes when there is a warning! However I do not have an outfit, but I prob should look into that! Like the basement area idea... I might have to do that! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete