No more links in our countdown chain-Time to Go!!
Airport Arrival
Waiting to board
Checking out the plane
Our flight didn't depart Des Moines until 10:48 AM which was perfect. It allowed us to have a "normal" morning before making our way to the airport. I am not sure if Elsie knew what to expect but she handled everything like a pro. Dale and Bev dropped us off and we had just over an hour to wait before our plane departed. John took Elsie through security and I chose to get patted down so I didn't have to go through the body scanner and expose my little baby inside me to the radiation, although they say the levels of radiation are safe, why take the risk when there is a completely safe alternative. Des Moines is such a small airport there was no wait at all.
A few things for my memory:
1. We packed to checked bags, one rolling carryon, and we each had a personal bag to stow under the seats. I also made us all carry our jackets on the flight so it didn't take up room/weight in the luggage.
2. Allegiant charges for everything and their checked bags limit is 40 lbs. Our suitcases weighed 35 lbs each. When packing I tried out rolling our clothes and we had SO much room. I could have fit everything into one suitcase if there was not weight limit. In our carry-on rolling suitcase I had a set of clothes for each of us (Elsie had two changes, plus one in her backpack-you can never be prepared with a toddler) and all of our extra shoes. Also for Elsie's clothes I put each days outfit in a ziploc bag and labeled it and I do not regret this extra bit of effort one bit. It made getting ready in the mornings a breeze! I could just grab the bag for her and she would get herself ready.
3. We brought along our carseat for Elsie to ride in on the plane. It worked out perfect! John attached it to our carry-on to transport it through the airport. He boarded the plane before Elsie and I did and we waited until near the end. He said the flight attendant was crabby about it however it is the law that they have to let us use it if it is aircraft approved. Also, it is not recommended that you check your carseat even if it is gate checked due to the risk of damage from them not carefully handling it. Elsie rode so good in it, it was just like riding in the car to MN except the flight was shorter than our drive.
4. Our pediatrician recommended that we have Elsie drink something from a straw during takeoff and landing to help with her ears. He said it is the swallowing motion that helps clear the ears.
5. We packed lots of activities to keep her busy on the flight and while waiting but she mainly just watched movies on the flight.
We flew into Sandford International Airport just outside of Orlando. Our flight was on time and Elsie did pretty good-she had one little melt down while we were waiting to get off. She wanted to get off right away vs waiting our turn to get off. We collected our luggage and made the long trek to the car rental area. We had reserved a small car (Corolla size) but ended up getting a van which was kind of nice. Then we took off to The Villages where I have to Aunts and Uncles that live. It was about an hour and half drive. We arrived around 5:00 PM and enjoyed a wonderful dinner with Cathy, Stub, Vicki and Jim and realxed during the evening. My Aunt Cathy had prepared a yummy dinner and some yummy dessert. Everything was delicious. We chatted the evening away and finally hit they hay sometime between 10 and 11PM. The next morning we ate breakfast. Elsie was loved having animals pancakes and by the end of the morning was calling Aunt Cathy "Grandma Cathy" and saying " I just love Grandma Cathy!" :) A huge thank you to them for letting us stay with them and for their hospitality.
No comments:
Post a Comment