Monday, October 20, 2014

Baby #2: The First Few Weeks

So now that the news is out there in blog land and I can catch myself up on the pregnancy up until this far.  And now that I am close to 17 weeks I have a lot to cover so I apologize for these text heavy posts.  :)

John and I found out that we were expecting back on July 22nd.  I had a pretty good feeling I was pregnant because I had heartburn at night again and had to take tums before bed like three nights in a row.  Occassionally, when I am not pregnant I get heartburn but that is after I eat  a lots of yummy, bad for you food.  That was not the case this time and not three nights in a row.  So I had a good feeling.  And of course, this was something we were hoping for.  We had returned for Poland and was hoping for this to happen as soon as possible so we were over the moon with the positive test.

Because I had the heartburn, I had a feeling I was pregnant.  Well on the 23rd I had a massage scheduled with a sitter lined up to watch Elsie in the morning.  A few days before my appointment I made a mental note not to take a test until after my appointment because I know my massage therapist doesn't want to give massages during the first trimester.  Well that slipped my mind the night of the 22nd and I decided to take the test.  John was working late, Elsie was in bed and I just wanted to know.  After I took the test, saw it was positive it finally dawned on me that I had my appointment the next morning.  I quickly shot off an email to Missy begging for some form of massage and of course, she said to let my baby grown big and strong and she would see me in the second tri.  This same thing happened with my third pregnancy so I knew her stance on it but what are the odds.  The last two appointments made I had to cancel the night before because I found out I was pregnant-ha!  I shared the news with John when he got home that night.

The next day instead of my appointment, I did a little shopping since I had Tanner lined up to babysit and I didn't want to bail on her.  That evening we were supposed to go to Zoo Brew down in Des Moines for date night but instead hit up one our favorite restaurants in Ames instead since I wouldn't be able to partake in any of the beer at Zoo Brew.

On Thursday (7/24) I finally put a call into my doctor.  The last time around (my third pregnancy) they didn't have me come in for any testing (bloodwork) which helps determine if my pregnancy is progressing the way it should.  This was the testing done during my first pregnancy that led them to believe I had an ectopic pregnancy.  With Elsie the bloodwork showed things seems normal and with the third, well I believe if they had done the early bloodwork to monitor hormone levels they would have discovered earlier that it would end in a miscarriage.  I figured it would be the same this time around but when I called they wanted me in that day for my first blood test.  The first test was just used as a baseline and then I went in for a second test and like we hoped it has increased to the level it should be.  I REALLY wish I would have written the numbers down and maybe I will ask the next time.  When they called with the results from the second test they said they wanted to schedule an ultrasound.  So on August 7th at  6w1d I went in for our first ultrasound.  And much to our relief we saw the baby.  Having this be the fourth time we have had an early ultrasound done I know the feeling too well of discovering a problem at this appointment and so I did not go into it with excitement as most women probably do.   So not only did we see the baby where it should be but were able to see the little flicker of a heartbeat.  Which is crazy to me because this babe was only 2mm big!

Like Elsie, they told me that once a heartbeat was detected the risk of miscarriage decreases.  Although I was relieved to see everything so far was so good I knew until my next appointment at 10 weeks when they do another ultrasound I just wouldn't feel 100% reassured.  In fact, we waited a little bit to even tell Elsie.  Even though she had no idea she was going to be a big sister or her mom had a "baby in her belly" she was still telling people.  Little did she know she was right.  I think she was originally saying it because two of her friends from daycare were going to be big sisters and thier mom's had a baby in their belly.

In fact, the weekend we told my parents at (5w5d) Elsie had spent the weekend with them.  When we shared the news on Sunday my mom said she already  knew because Elsie had told them.  WHAT?  We had never even said anything of the sort to Elsie or talked about it around her.  I asked her why she said that and she ran off and got one of her Little Lutheran books that has a picture of an ultrasound and we had talked about what that was.  So anyways...long story short she was just talking randomly and didn't even know she was right or that she spilled the beans :).

The main symptom at this point was heartburn-otherwise I felt great.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see you and baby bump this weekend!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete