Thursday, March 13, 2014

Unpacking

Friday night, after we moved in, it was time to keep cleaning and unpack.  We had so much help throughout this whole process and would be nowhere as far along unpacking as we are with out everyone's help.  One of the first tasks was to get Elsie's room set up.  She LOVED helping John put her crib together (yes she is still in her crib and seems happy to be there so why rock the boat right?) Then we ordered pizza for dinner and had a "Pizza Picnic" on the floor of our family room.

Elsie helping Daddy put together her bed
 Elsie discovered this mirror that was left behind in my closet.  She spent quite a bit of time keeping herself busy making faces at herself :)





That night, Amber also came to help clean.  Amber and Bev kept working on the kitchen (there was a lot of work to be done in this one room alone).  It seemed like it took forever.  So those two worked on the kitchen while I worked on cleaning the upstairs bathroom.  I wanted to get one bathroom completely clean first so we could shower, brush teeth, etc.  Around 11:00 Amber (The night owl) was still going strong but I was exhausted so we called in a night.

Amber snapped this pic on Friday evening as it was snowing.
We got quite a few inches of snow over the weekend.
The next morning we were up and at it again.  My parents were coming down to help (They had planned to come on Friday evening but the snow delayed their plans).  They left bright and early and arrived safely by 10:00.  Bev and Dale came to help and Amber came again in the afternoon.  We got so much done but I was so overwhelmed.  I had so many people asking where this went, or where I wanted that and I had hardly had enough time to think about it.  I will be the first to admit the stress was getting to me.  I am SO thankful though we had so much help!!!!  Both parents prepared food for meals (which was awesome because it lasted into the early part of the week) and we could not have done it without them!

One of our new neighbors, Nanette brought over some delicious muffins on Saturday morning which was perfect because we could not find the box with the cereal/bread/toasted ya know...the important things.  The were soooo good!

On Sunday morning, John and my dad ripped out the carpet in the upstairs bathroom (this was at the top of our Priority List) and installed some new peel and stick tile for the time being.  All the bathrooms have carpet in them which I find is really gross!  We went with inexpensive peel and stick vinyl planks because at some point in the next couple of years we want to gut it and remodel and thought they would be a good temporary option.  My parents left late morning and we kind of chilled (as best we could) the rest of the day.  I think I rearranged the kitchen cupboards a few times.  Sunday evening we headed over to Lowes to get Rev-A-Shelf for our trash and recycling containers and smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors for all of our sleeping areas (I am paranoid about carbon monoxide).  We also checked out some closet options because most of the closets in the house (there are a lot of them-9 upstairs and 5 on the main level) just have a shelf and a hanging bar.  We also checked out thermostats but wanted to do some more research before buying one.  We were debating over just a plain old programmable one vs. a wifi enabled one that can be adjusted from a smartphone.

I also want to mention how well Elsie and Tally are adjusting to the new house.  First of all, Tally LOVES the fenced in back yard.  Elsie is also doing WONDERFUL!  I was shocked at how well she took to the new house.  She has been sleeping normally from night one and she loves all the extra room to run around in, the full flight of stairs to slide down, and the fact that her toys are all right there to play with thanks to the extra space in the family room.  I would say there was very little adjusting for this little girl.

2 comments:

  1. yay!! Glad you are in the new pad. Can't wait to see it. Moving is stressful, no matter how organized you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie's little faces, haha sooo cute!! I love capturing those moments...so innocent and sweet!!

    I hope things are getting more and more organized one day at time! I can't wait to see your new place!!

    ReplyDelete