Monday, February 3, 2014

Life in January

Whew!  January flew by!!!  Although it has been so cold and have spent most of our time indoors we have stayed pretty busy!

Here are a few highlights from the month!

THE HOUSE
Obviously by now, most of you know we finally are going to be selling our house and moving into a new house just a few blocks away.  I drive by the house and tell Elsie that is our new house to try to get her used to the idea that we will be moving into a new house and saying goodbye to our old house.  Yesterday we went for a walk and walked by the house.  I showed her which windows were to her new room.  She then proceeded to throw a fit because she wanted to go in.  So that backfired a bit :)  I also talk to her about how it will be close to her school when she gets bigger, that it is right by the playground, and that it has a bigger yard for her and Tally to play in.  One day I also mentioned that her room has two closets-one for clothes and one for her toys!  Now whenever we talk about her new room she has to add that it has two closets.

SOCIAL HAPPENINGS
This months seems to have been busy for us in the social world.
Bachelor Premier:  At the beginning of January I went to Amber's to watch the premier of The Bachelor with her and Asia.  This seems to be becoming a tradition to watch the premier and the finale together and it makes it a little more fun.
Date Night:  This months date night was a bit of shopping, dinner out at The Big Steer (best prime rib ever!) and a little gambling at the casino.  We ended up waiting two hours to get a table for dinner but it is so worth the wait so most of the night was spent sitting at the bar, enjoying some drinks and talking.  By the time we left the Restaurant it was just about 10:00 so we didn't spend too much time at the casino before heading back home so our babysitter could get home.
Celebrating Amber's Birthday:  Amber had a party at her house to celebrate her 31st birthday!  John and I both had plans of going but Elsie came down with an fever and ear infection so we didn't want to send her over to the Grandparents house for the night so John stayed home with her.  It was a lot of fun, chatting, and enjoying a few drinks.  I definitely didn't drink as many drinks as I would have had Elsie been healthy.  That might be a good thing ;)
Non-Fiction Book Club:  Unfortunately, I was a bit under the weather this month so I had to miss.  The book was Born to Run which is a book that I read back in either November or December last year-and by read I mean I listened to the audiobook so I was bummed I missed it.  Next months book is The Secret  which I just started reading but discovered is already overdue from the library.  Oops!
Monday Night Book Club:   This month's meeting was at Heidi's.  We didn't have a book to read because we always skip over the holidays.  It had been two months since we had all gotten together and was so good to catch up!  This month's book is A Long Way Down  by Nick Hornby.

FAMILY FUN DAY:  This month our family fun day was spent in Des Moines at the Science Center of Iowa and enjoying lunch at the Hessen Haus.  For photos and more check out the post here.

ELSIE
One of these days I will wrap up Elsie's two year post (yes this is two months late).  I can't believe how much of a little girl she is vs. a toddler even.  She talks a lot and carries on a pretty good conversation.  It has just been so much fun! She has become so independent.  She wants to do everything herself and I just LOVE her imagination.

THE MONTH IN PHOTOS
Painting on her new easel.  She had asked to paint everyday for weeks but I was always afraid of the mess but I will say it was SO worth it!  She loved it!!


One Sunday the forecast was supposed to in the 40s so we headed out to a local park for a walk...let's just say it wasn't as enjoyable as I thought...it was so windy and cold despite saying 40 degrees on the thermometer, Elsie was super fussy, and  we were dodging slick spots on the path.  But it was nothing a nice cup of hot cocoa can't fix :)
Because of the cold weather we have spent a lot of time backing and cooking in the kitchen.  Elsie still loves to help.

Making Mini Pizzas with Mommy and Cookies with Daddy

Elsie LOVES her new doggie bath towel from Grandma and Grandpa F and her new Minnie Mouse robe from Aunt Brandi and Uncle Todd.  She also thought her bookshelf would be a great place to sit down.  

Crazy bath hair

Just Chillin in the bath.  Up until this point Elsie rarely would lay back in the tub and get her head wet.  She would play in the tub all day if we let her but never actually lay down in the water.  But now she pretends to swim, floats and puts her whole face in!  Oh and the arms behind her head post isn't just in the bath.  This is how she lays on the couch, the bed and the bottom step of our stairs-which has become one of her favorite places to lay down.  


This month the weather has been so up and down.  On Monday an 6th this was the weather for the day... School was closed because it was so cold.  This happened two more times during the month.  

But it definitely warmed up and on Sunday January 19th it was like this.  Absolutely beautiful!  Elsie had a fever the day before but so far that day she had been fever free and acting a lot better (we found out the next day she had a double ear infection) so we thought we would head out for a walk as a family.  It was perfect.  We walked past the new house and then up to the park.  I did a little jog around the trails with the jogging stroller and Elsie and we met back up with John and Tally at the playground.  It was a perfect Sunday afternoon!  





Elsie must have been dreaming of warmer weather because one day she insisted on wearing her swimsuit.  I decided to compromise and let her wear it over her long pants and shirt.  When it was bath time though she wanted to wear it in the bath until it was time to wash up.  

One day this month I had to go into work and bring Elsie with me.  She did SO good!  However her diaper leaked just a little so we took her pants off to dry-and I forgot to bring an extra pair so she got to hang out at the shop in her diaper and boots.  Obviously it didn't bother her one bit.  

One night before bed Elsie sat behind me and brushed my hair for at least 10 minutes.  She was being so careful and gentle.  If I moved my head though she would put her hands on my head, straighten it out and say "no look at me mommy".  Hmmm I wonder where she gets that from ;).  John also got to partake in the hairsylin as she insisted that Daddy gets some "pretties" in his hair too :)


So a little update on Tally-as you can see from this pic she is getting so big!  I am still working on a little update post for her but lets just say I will be so thankful when we get into our fenced yard so this girl can really work out some of her energy!  We take her for walks quite a bit but there are times when it is just too cold!  We lovingly call her the "Tally Monster" but she really is a good girl :)

Clara Jean!!
IMG_0045On Sunday January 12th, my dear friend Randi and her husband Joe welcomed little Clara Jean into this world.  She is absolutely beautiful and looks just like her big sister Taylor!  We finally got to meet her this past weekend and she is so tiny and precious.  You just forget how little they are and this was at 3 weeks already.  Congrats Randi and we are so happy for you!  






1 comment:

  1. This was a super fun post...loved it!! Love her new easel!! Love all the pictures...that one of her John where John is wearing the "pretties" haha so cute!

    ReplyDelete